Saturday, April 11, 2020

Want to experience some magic? Make your own yoghurt.

I started making my own yoghurt this year to reduce waste. But really? You still have to buy milk and your initial 'starter' yoghurt so unless you have your own cow, you're going to create some waste in the process. If it was just about reducing waste, it would probably be much easier to return to buying Greek style yoghurt, at about $6 for a large tub, which can be recycled. 

So why bother? Making your own yoghurt is so much better. It's like the pleasure of bread making. It's alive and you're the alchemist.

If, like me, you have time, and enjoy creamy delicious Greek style yoghurt, whipping up your own is so satisfying. Seriously, the euphoria of tasting yoghurt straight from its tepid bath. Heaven. These days I enjoy my pleasures where I can. Perfect consistency: dollops cling to the spoon. Intense creaminess on the palette. 

It's taken me a few weeks to get there, a bit of trial and error. So here's my method, in case you feel like trying something new.

You don't need special equipment, other than an esky (mine's big enough for a six pack) - cool box - a meat thermometer and a bit of patience. You have to wait for the magic. The batch I made yesterday had rested for about 20 hours - because I forgot about it - and it's the best I've ever produced.

Initially, I bought an Easiyo Yoghurt maker from the op shop but it's not necessary. Any clean lidded jars or even an old plastic yoghurt container will do.

For your first batch only, you need a starter. Buy a small tub of full cream Greek style yoghurt. I started my current batch with 170g of the Tasmanian Tamar Valley Dairy variety, but I don't suppose it matters. You only need it for your first 'cook'. Get the yoghurt out of the fridge before you start the whole process, to allow it to get to room temperature. I dispense the yoghurt into a large heatproof jug at this stage. (Tip: wash and reuse the yoghurt tub for your next starter.)

In a saucepan, whisk together a litre of full cream milk - I use the UHT type - and a cup of powdered skimmed milk. Now slowly, slowly - patience! - heat the milk to 82 degrees centigrade, stirring occasionally.

When it's at 82 degrees, take it off the heat and wait for it to cool to 46 degrees centigrade.
When it's at 46 degrees, gradually - slowly - mix it into the starter yoghurt in the jug. The idea is to try to keep everything as close to 46 degrees as possible, so don't be too slow!

Once you've mixed the yoghurt with the hot milk, pour some into your starter container - for next time - then fill your jars. Now turn on your hot tap and get it to the temperature where it stings on your knuckle. This is about 46 degrees. Put the containers in your esky, or Easiyo container if you have one, and fill the containers with water at 46 degrees - about half way up the sides of the jars in the esky. Now close the esky and put it somewhere to stand for at least 8 hours, but as I said, 20 hours produced my best return.

I've read that some people just put a container of boiling water in with their jars in the esky. Makes sense if you don't have a small esky that fits under the tap.

This recipe works for me. Of course, you can sweeten it in your preferred way once it's done.

There's heaps of information on line if you don't get pleasing results the first time. But it's like anything. Practice makes perfect.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment